Monday to Friday: 8:00am to 5:30pm
Saturday & Sunday: 9:00am to 5:00pm
Closed Public Holidays
You can call us during office hours on +64 9 8277 620, or complete our booking request via email.
At the time of booking we require a credit card details.
We accept all major credit cards (Visa, Mastercard and Amex), EFTPOS, cash, and approved purchase orders from companies, schools, and clubs. Debit cards will be charged a bond payment of $500 prior to hire.
A non-refundable deposit of 10% is charged at the time of confirmation.
We do accept cash or debit cards, however a $500 bond is held as security. These are refunded once the vehicle is returned and all terms of the rental agreement have been met.
All prices quoted are in New Zealand dollars, and include Goods and Services Tax (GST) and standard insurance. If extra services such as airport returns or one way fees are requested then these fees will also be included in the quotation.
A credit card surcharge of 2.5% applies to payments made by credit card.
Yes, our car and minibus rates always include unlimited kilometres. Trucks and Cargo Vans are not unlimited but the first 100kms is free.
Commercial vehicles such as cargo vans and trucks have an agreed limit included in each quote – first 100 kilometres are free per day. A per km charge will be quoted for additional mileage if needed.
No. All our vehicles are supplied with a full tank of fuel and needs to be returned full. Additional charges apply if we need to do this for you.
No – you can add as many as needed for FREE. Each driver must present their drivers licence at the time of vehicle collection and be named on the rental agreement.
A surcharge of 2.5% applies to payments made by credit card. Debit Cards, bank deposits and cash are exempt from this fee.
Yes, we offer a range of accessories including child seats, blankets and ties and full moving packs. Check our accessories page for more information.
One way hires are not available on our vehicles.
Yes, you are welcome to take your car or minibus on the ferry. Trucks are excluded from leaving the North Island.
If you are planning to use the NZTA Electronic Toll Roads, please advise our staff. We charge a one off fee of $10.00 and this covers you for up to 10 times on that one hire – simple and easy and no chance of incurring penalties for non-payment.
Direct payments to NZ Transport Agency cannot be made as our vehicles are on account.
All tickets that come to our office will be transferred into your name. An administration fee is charged to you for this service and you are still liable for the cost of the ticket.
You can hire a vehicle if you are 18+ years of age and hold a valid drivers’ license. (minimum Restricted licence, conditions apply).
You must hold a valid NZ driver’s license, or valid overseas licence to drive in NZ. Restricted licence holders can hire cars and vans from us, conditions apply. We cannot hire to Learners’ licence holders.
A valid overseas driver’s license is:
- An international driving permit, accompanied by your original licence. We recommend this option.
- An overseas licence accompanied by an authorised translation and passport. These are valid for one year from your arrival in NZ.
- An overseas licence written in English accompanied by a passport, also valid for one year.
We require two items when you are collecting the vehicle:
- Current and valid driver’s licences for all drivers intending to drive (see above). For insurance and legal purposes we need to sight these even if you are a repeat customer.
- A credit card, the rental agreement must be signed by the cardholder.
Yes we do offer a free delivery service within the Auckland City or Auckland Airport areas (minimum hire period applies). This is a free service during normal business hours, additional fees apply for deliveries outside these times – please enquire.
Yes, we do offer an after-hours pick up service by prior arrangement. As above, an additional fee will apply for this service.
No, unfortunately we have no after-hours drop off facility at either of our Auckland depots. However, for a collection fee customers are able to leave a vehicle at an alternative location by prior arrangement. Hirers returning to Auckland airport may do so at any time.
Customers returning vehicles off-site need to be aware that they are liable for any damage that may be incurred until the vehicle is checked in by our staff.
Yes, you can return your rental vehicle to the airport by arrangement. Fees apply.
If you return your vehicle earlier than the agreed date then there is no refund. Personal travel insurance may cover an unexpected emergency if this is the case.
If you return your vehicle late or extend your hire, an additional charge may apply as specified on your rental agreement. Extensions and late returns must be authorised by our staff as they are subject to the availability of the vehicle. Unauthorised extensions may incur penalty fees in addition to the standard hire costs.
At Auckland Vehicle Rentals we understand that our reputation depends heavily on the safety and reliability of our fleet. To this end we are constantly revising the way we monitor the safety of our vehicles.
Our staff complete pre-rental checks on all vehicles in order to routinely monitor items such as tyres, fluids, wipers, and even the indispensable cigarette lighter! These frequent inspections are key to preventing avoidable breakdowns.
Faults reported by customers are immediately logged in our booking system, to be remedied at the earliest opportunity.
We have an onsite mechanic who is on hand to attend to any issues revealed in the pre-rental checks or through customer feedback. He also sees to it that all our vehicles get a complete service every 10,000km. Every six months each rental vehicle must pass a Certificate of Fitness inspection by an independent government accredited vehicle testing centre. These inspections have stricter standards and are required twice as often as those for private motor vehicles. They include rigorous testing of suspension, brakes, tyres, safety devices and structural components.
Your rental vehicle is covered by our 24 hour nationwide breakdown service, this reassuring feature is included in your daily hire rate. We maintain all of our vehicles to a high standard for your safety and comfort, however in the unfortunate event that you experience mechanical trouble the following steps will be taken to try to get you back on the road as soon as possible:
- Please contact NZ Roadside Assistance (0508 697 623) to notify them of the issue with your vehicle. They will send a technician to diagnose the problem and repair your rental vehicle if possible.
- If the Technician cannot repair your vehicle immediately it will be towed to the nearest certified mechanical workshop.
- For minor repairs a replacement rental car will not be provided and your hire will continue in the same vehicle once your vehicle has been repaired.
- With major repairs or delays of more than 24 hours in obtaining spare parts for your vehicle, we will attempt to supply a replacement vehicle from our nearest rental car branch.
- If a breakdown occurs in a location where we do not have a rental car office, or should the nearest rental car branch not have any rental vehicles available, then it may be necessary for you to travel by public transport (at our cost) to where the nearest replacement vehicle is located.
- If we cannot supply a replacement vehicle from another branch within a reasonable distance from the breakdown, we will notify you of the situation and offer you the option of cancelling your hire and refunding you for the remaining hire period.
- Any breakdowns are problematic for the customer and us and we do our best to sort issues as competently as possible, however it may not always be possible to avoid delays in your schedule.
Please note that our roadside assistance service is free in the event of a mechanical failure. Non-mechanical rental vehicle issues (for example flat batteries due to lights being left on, flat tyres, lost keys or any damage caused by the hirer) are the hirer’s responsibility will be attended to at the hirer’s expense.
As per the terms & conditions of hire, Auckland Vehicle Rentals and its employees are not liable for any loss incurred by the hirer of a rental vehicle due to mechanical breakdowns.
Our standard insurance excess (also known as deductible) for most vehicles is $3000.00 + GST for drivers aged 25 years and older on a full licence. For drivers under the age of 25 a higher insurance excess will apply. See our insurance page for more information.
No it is not compulsory for full licence holders. Standard insurance is included in our rates and is subject to an insurance excess in the event of any loss or damage, regardless of fault. We offer you the option to purchase Insurance Excess Reduction which reduces your excess on the vehicle and you pay a set cost per day. You can discuss this with our customer service team.
Please advise us as soon as possible if you need to cancel your booking. We are always happy to reschedule your booking (subject to availability) if required.
More than 7 days – 10% or $100.00 Deposit (whichever is greater) applicable
Within 7 days of hire – 1 days hire
Less than 24hours – 3 days hire
No show – Full cost of hire applicable
TransferCar Bookings – Full deposit applicable
Yes, we offer very competitive rates on long term bookings. Contact our customer service team to discuss your individual requirements on +64 9 8277 620 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org